According to a recent IPOS survey, Iranians overwhelmingly favor a nuclear deal with the West on the terms of the “Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action”. Seventy-six percent approve of such a plan while three percent disapprove. A poll last May showed that 63% answered affirmatively to the question “Do you support a deal between Iran and the West?”
In July of 2015 Iran and Western powers announced that that they had come to an agreement regarding Iran’s nuclear program. A poll conducted by iPOS in August 2015 suggests that a majority of Iranians favor a nuclear deal with the West and the so called “Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action”. Seventy-six percent approve of such a plan while three percent disapprove. Nine percent of Iranians say they would approve a deal if it is not against Iran’s national interest and 12% register other alternatives such as “I don’t know” or “I have no idea.”
As you may know, Iran and the West announced that they had come to agreement regarding the nuclear program. When we talk to people some say they favor a deal, some say not. What do you think? Would you say you favor a deal between Iran and the West or not?
Approval of a Deal Based on Age
Marked differences are apparent across age cohorts, with older Iranians aged more than 45 being more likely to say they approve of a deal.
The approval of a deal does not vary in a statistically significant way when analyzed according to other variables.
Approval of a Deal Based on Ethnicity
The approval of a deal does not vary in a statistically significant way when analyzed according to other variables such as gender, educational level, location, ethnicity, or religion. Among the ethnic groups, however, Iranian Kurds are more likely to say they approve of a deal than the population generally (86% of Iranian Kurds approve a deal). Rates of approval of a deal are 80% and 79% among Iranian Arabs and Baluchs respectively. Among Lurs, Persian, and Turks the approval of a deal stands at 73%.
Approval of a Deal Based on Religion
Iranian Sunnis are more likely to say they approve of a deal (82%). The rate of approval is 75% among Iranian Shias.
Approval of a Deal Based on Other Parameters
- Results are based on telephone interviews conducted on August 22 to 24, 2015, with a random sample of 654 Iranian adults aged 18 and older who are currently residing in Iran.
- The iPOS proportional two-stage sample includes respondents from every province.
- Results are weighted by gender, age and location (urban vs. rural areas) based on the Iranian national census of 2011.
- Based on the sample, it can be stated with 95% confidence that the margin of sampling error is ± 3.8 percentage points.
- Native Farsi speakers conducted the interviews during daylight hours in Iran. Interviewers were trained prior to conducting the poll.